Letters to Holly

Saturday, January 1

The Future Snuck Up On Me

The late Christmas dinner only had one parent. My Mom arrived a little early, and I made the majority of the food while the ladies passed the baby between them. He was sick, we assume, with the flu following the vaccination. The deputy had bad congestion all day, and now we have the icks. Fortunately, he seems to be past the worst of it already. This puts the kibosh on our plan to meet up with buddies for a New Year's party tonight.

Mom seemed to enjoy the small meal and exchange of presents. She brought me Devil Squares, and you might remember that I was tempted by them during our grocery run. She bought herself a digital camera, and I walked her through the basics. She's still a little skeptical that she won't have to get the photos developed. She gave the boy a Bible picture book and a new outfit. She appreciated the tile from Your Parents. Mom loved and adored and inhaled the baklava you made.

Because of the housewide bug, I didn't stay awake to greet 2011. Your Sister did while she prepared a humidifier for him. Not just a new year, but a new decade. Amazing. It greeted me with another busted drain stopper in Your Sister's bathroom. I'll probably use the Lowe's card Mom gave me to replace the drain fixtures in both bathrooms. I've fixed these -- allegedly -- too often.

A warm, dark rain is washing away all the snow (And the bad memories from 2010? Let's not carried away here.)

Picture of the Day
Know your Cyrillic. 

No comments: