Letters to Holly

Thursday, May 8

The Weirdest Fucking Day

My car's CD player went haywire yesterday morning, and I blame the new REM CD. I suspect some anti-piracy software screwed up the player. I have a 25,000-mile tune-up coming up soon, and I'm hoping they can fix this. A quick Google search says that this particular error message means the CD player is d-e-d dead. I just called the dealership, and they said they'd have to order a new stereo. I'm within the warranty deadline; it should be free. Thankfully, I can just upload my CDs to the iPod and broadcast it through the radio, but this may very well have turned me off CDs entirely.

I still haven't used the free iTunes songs yet because I can't decide what songs to grab. The song from the latest iTunes ad is damn catchy though.

I found a link to an online archive of news footage from 9/11, and I watched the ABC feed. I didn't see any of the morning newscasts that day. We only had radio in the office, and I got most information online. I remembered calling my then-wife who callously dismissed my anxieties. She was blase about the day even when I camped in front of the TV for hours that night. She walked away three weeks later.

Just hours after the CD player died, I get an email from that very same ex-wife telling me she learned that a guy I've known since high school has cancer. I've since confirmed it. This is a one-two punch I never suspected.

I raked up the garden, and Your Sis rented a chipper and tiller for the weekend. I didn't paint. I was too sore and tired. Hopefully I can do some tonight after Lost.

Also, don't forget about Lost tonight.

Picture of the Day
That little smudge on Saturn there is a gigantic lightning storm.

No comments: