Letters to Holly

Wednesday, October 26

Keep the Receipt

So, no, you don't have to remove the entire front half of your car to replace a headlight. You do if you want to change the glass housing wherein said headlight nests. I found the right bulb by matching the car's manual bulb ID number with a bulb in the local car-part store. It's not a breeze to get your hand in there to change it. But you pop the hood, grab the coupling, turn the bulb, and remove it from the housing. The bulb pops off, the new one pops on, and the coupling goes back into the housing. Took ten minutes. I should have changed both the bulbs. At night, the new one shines like a lightsaber jutting out from my engine.

Your Sister had bales of hay delivered to the house in preparation of the pumpkin party this weekend. We're inviting people on the sly, keeping it small and hoping to avoid awkwardness around the latest dissolving marriage. Whatever the reason for the separation, I sympathize with them both. Kids are involved. That's an Olympic degree of difficulty.

Speaking of separations, after a 20-minute ordeal of comparing bedsheet packages at a local store, I found what I thought was the perfect replacement for the flannel sheets shredded by the cat. Right texture, right color, right size. They had to fit a king bed because I bought a king mattress when my first wife ran away. In fact, the very first thing I did the morning after was buy a bed to replace the one she took. I know it was a king frame because the delivery guy mentioned that there was only one mattress size larger than the one I ordered: a California king size. However, when Your Sister bought the TempurPedic mattress to replace that one a few years later, she got a queen. My perfect replacement bedsheets don't fit. So I must trade during today's lunch break, and I will grumble the entire trip.

Picture of the Day
A franchise-wide design for Penguin Book UK's new James Bond paperbacks. 


No comments: