Letters to Holly

Monday, January 7

Eye eye eye.

We took advantage of freakishly warm weather to work in the yard Saturday. She pruned while I went under the house for the first time. I expected to find a slim crawlspace leading to a bog, but found a manageable area that was bone dry. So our house foundation is secure. The previous owners wrapped the pipes in a plastic tubing I had never even heard of before, but it looks very sturdy. I also used my lawnmower to slice and bag the yard leaves. It worked great, proving again the boon of technology to those of us with mysteriously achy backs.

Unfortunately, a chunk of yard drifted inside my eyelids, laid eggs and died, and those eggs hatched, unleashing their young around 5 in the morning. I thought I had cleared out my eye, but the same problem developed this morning around 3. I went to the eye doctor this morning, and he found nothing, saying the foliage had left me eyes, but the scratched cornea is achy. he gave me synthetic tears to help my eyes heal. This happened to me in my childhood too. I mowed a neighbor's yard and spent the entirety of Back to the Future (in the theatre, so this was like 1935) dabbing my eye before I was taken to the emergency room. If I have trouble sleeping tonight from the lingering pain, I'm digging into my wisdom tooth medicine which I could have sold at the high school for a eleventy thousand dollars.

We named the Matrix this weekend. I had noodled with references to its football shape, and then I realized the paint is the same shade of silver as the New England Patriots helmets and out sprang "Brady." Your Sis approved. It only took us eight months.

We hosted Kathy and Travis last night for a pizza dinner, and we caught up on holiday events. Hard to believe it's only been a week since Tim and Orange Peel and the Krewe.

Picture of the Day
Madness.




News of the Day
Between playoff football games, I watched a lot of C-Span's coverage of New Hampshire.
a) Obama looks as confident and solid as a front-runner can.
b) Hillary's new tactic of accusing Obama of being hollow looks like she herself has no substance to hawk.
c) Bill Clinton spoke without notes, answering questions for an hour and utterly eclipsing every current candidate. The man is a machine.
d) Obama's wife spoke mostly to youngsters, and she has a casual air away from the podium.
e) Huckabee talks a good game. Too bad he denies evolution.
f) Rudy looks tired. I say he drops out within a month.

No comments: