Letters to Holly

Monday, January 18

Baby Babble

Pardon all the baby stuff.

Your Sis felt Roo move for the first time this morning. Even if she wanted to wake me up to share it, I was out cold on NyQuil. My throat is raw from running on Saturday. I thought it was warm enough, and I'm downing Yogi tea and cough drops until I'm back to normal. Your Sis pointed out that such tea, made with slippery elm, can lead to miscarriages. I should be OK though.

Sparked by outside conversations, we discussed allowances and books. I'm of the mind that allowances are earned, and advances are earned through extra work. I think allowances can include "overtime pay" for extra work that doesn't diminish the next allowance installment. Your Sis likes making Roo use the allowance to buy the cool stuff. We'll provide basics, but if Roo wants the cool clothes, Roo has to use the allowance. I'm OK with that.

We also have a simple curriculum of stages of reading. I like Judy Blume. Your Sis doesn't not. Because she's a commie. I read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (and its sequel, Superfudge) and Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great repeatedly. She won't hear of it. She wonders what chapter-books we should move to after the basic kids books. Charlotte's Web is her choice. I also like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach. She asked when Harry Potter could be introduced, and I said it depended on Roo's maturity. But Narnia and The Hobbit would make for a good entree into Potter and The Ring trilogy later. No discussion on comics yet. We talked about this over lunch, and I'm sure we entertained the other restaurant patrons as we told those books' stories to each other. I could have used a puppet or two.

I'm starting two new comic projects this weekend: a comic story told one page each month, and a casual diary comic. Both are going online. I'll tell you where to find them as they go up. The monthly comic is story I've dabbled with for over a year. In addition to these, I need to hammer out about three minicomics for the May convention. But I have four months to do the latter and can manage that if I stick to a schedule.

I have the rare weekday lunch with Your Sister today, and I'm sure we'll bore everyone with baby talk.

Picture of the Day
Crucial notes if you ever go time traveling.

No comments: