Letters to Holly

Wednesday, January 25

The Masque of the Red Sniffles

Your Sister is going back to the doctor today to figure out what this lingering bug is. She's been in the sick bed almost exclusively since Christmas, and it's only getting worse. She breaks the time into two distinct colds, but I see it as an adaptive ailment. She went to this doctor two weeks ago and got a simple antihistamine. She tried some Tussin despite my suggestion she go for Mucinex, something to attack the wracking spine-bending coughing fits. She thinks she may now have a sinus infection.

The Deputy's cold is fading. His nose is clear, and his coughs are fewer. I think he and I have the same allergies. We all navigate the house via cough echolocation. He may think coughing is a form of conversation.

I am suspecting he's having trouble moving from sign language to words. He doesn't understand the distinction of saying something with hands and mouth. And he gets confused about saying an animal's name and speaking as if he was the animal. If you ask him to say "cat," he makes the sign language or meows. We're working on it.

He almost used a toilet last night. In the shower, he made the sign for poop, and I held him over the toilet. He didn't understand that he could befoul it without getting in trouble. So I put him back in the shower, and there he went, and he was upset that he made a mess. Cleaning the mess is sometimes easier than comforting him.

I'm gonna buy him an alphabet toy today for the commute. I think he's outgrown the old car doodads, and I worry he's falling behind in learning. Entirely our fault, if so. We're challenging him on colors as he plays with books, and he does seem intensely interested in "reading" these days.

Picture of the Day
We need therapeutic cookies.


No comments: