Letters to Holly

Thursday, June 28

The Day After

The anesthetic screwed up my short-term memory. Your Sis insists I was chatty and cracking jokes just after the operation, although I recall none of it. She thinks this is adorable; I think it's a bit spooky. I also have the knowledge that we went to CVS for the drugs (the lovely, magic drugs), but I have to take her word for it. I do vaguely remember us going into the local bookstore to kill time between submitting and receiving the prescriptions. I looked at the graphic novel section and bumped into a few endcaps, but it's all swimming like a dream. The few hours of our return home are fractured too.

I ate some Jello, mac and cheese, grapes, and tomato soup. I swapped my gauze a few times. We watched some House, and, well, something else I can't remember right now. The anti-inflammatory pills work the best so far. I started to nod off around 8:30, with the sun still up, for crying out loud. I slept until 2:50 a.m. and couldn't sleep for another 2 hours. I swapped some more gauze before going under and woke up around 9:30 this morning. The pain is virtually gone except where the lower gum scars touch the lining of the mouth. I'm still groggy, but I intend to go back to work tomorrow.

In the News
Egyptian archaeologists claim they found Hat-Shep-Shut, the influential pharaoh queen . According to the NY Times, "scientists said this was the first mummy of an Egyptian ruler to be found and 'positively identified' since King Tutankhamun’s tomb was opened in 1922." I remember reading about her in art history classes. She has quite the legacy.

+ + +

The Benoit coverage is dwindling as all anyone can do is wait to see what drugs may have been in his system. The murder-scenario rumors are disturbing as they are all based on wild speculation. One says the son, hopped up on human growth hormones, killed the mother.

No comments: