Letters to Holly

Sunday, February 22

Heart Attacks and Elbow Drops

My idea for this weekend was to let the comic sit for two days before I picked it up and read it fresh. That was the idea.

Then I thought, for fun, I'd check the anthology website, just to see if they had any notes encouraging submitters to tidy up the stories and send them in. Nothing seemed to have changed since I first saw the site in January. And then I noticed the technical specs. Originally it read "200 dpi," the resolution for the final images. I had made the comic to that setting. It now read "300 dpi." Because I had scanned the art at 200 dpi, panic set in. I had to digitally assemble the comic once again. The "final" files I made late last week were worthless. After a quick lunch to build up my reserves, I sat down and recolored and re-lettered the comic at the higher resolution. It took a few hours and plumb wore me out. Before this I spent all of Saturday morning cleaning and reorganizing my workshop. Once I found the mistake, all that had to stop, and now my room is a slop of paper stacks.

It's simply bad form to not notify folks when you change the art specs. Only my neurosis allowed me to salvage the comic.

I printed the comic again and put it aside. Your Sister hadn't read it. I kept it away from her so she can have a clean read when she finally got to see it. That was on Sunday. I left the room. I killed some time and returned to find her crying. While I don't want to make the missus cry, it is the reaction I was hoping for. The comic has wallop, at least for her. Mission accomplished.

On Sunday we caught rasslin' in Asheville, and we rooted against the other's favorites. I also baffled the kids sitting in front of me who couldn't understand why anyone would cheer for the bad guy. They'll learn.

The Oscars was a fun show last night, and Hugh Jackman is a total showman.

Picture of the Day
Work, work, work.

No comments: