Letters to Holly

Thursday, March 4

Snow Shuffling

We hunkered down at first. The snowfall was apocalyptic, and the subsequent wind and sunlight added ice to the cotton candy/mashed potato drifts. I worked online for a few hours and offered to walk with Your Sis to the town's Italian pizzeria for what's become our snowstorm tradition. She assured me she could walk the three miles plus there and back as long as we took it slow and let her catch her breath on the hills. We did. Our road was a glacier, but the rest of the trip was smooth and bright and windy and brisk.

We got to the shop, wolfed down buffet pizza, and headed back home. She has trouble bending over now, and her attempts to fix her socks just made her mad. I offered to help, and she grudgingly assented. She thinks it's demeaning to both of us if I fix her foot clothing. I say she's being silly. I told her I wished someone would say something. I have a surplus of what-for I need to dish out. But I fixed her socks, and I'm sure I'll be tying her shoes soon. She's starting her third trimester next week. This stuff is gonna happen. And it's temporary, I tell her. She's gonna have a crash diet at the end of June.

I got home and did more online work. About an hour later, the snowplows rumbled by. When they departed, I shoveled the driveway and the road in front of our property. I waited too long however, and the debris froze as soon as I walked to shovel other areas. Even sweeping over it didn't break the ice chunks. The first Wednesday of the month has become a fundraising night at the local Mexican restaurant. The money goes to the high school, and I drove her out to it as a reward for grading papers all day. We swapped snow horror stories with other teacher people and got back in time to watch some TV before collapsing into heaps. OK, she collapsed. I stayed up to ink our comic. I'd like it done by next weekend -- inked, scanned, lettered, and polished. I have to get cracking on my minicomics.

Her school has a three-hour delay today, and a make-up day is scheduled for Saturday morning. We drove to the local Buck of Stars before heading in different directions for work.

Picture of the Day
I predict that women will be throwing their partners by the 2018 Olympics. A number of pairs did this kind of lift (one might argue it's more of a brace than a lift), and each was shocking and well done. I appreciated the athleticism.

No comments: